Background and brief history
The 5th Dorking (URC) Scout Group is sponsored by the United Reformed Church in West Street who provide premises for meetings and storage of equipment.
The church has a long association with Scouting, dating back to 1911 when the 3rd Dorking (Congregational) Troop was part of the Sunday School there. The troop closed with the outbreak of WW-II, but the Group reopened as the 5th Dorking in 1950. Although the very close ties with the church remain to this day, membership is open to all faiths, the group has a beaver, cub and scout section all that lead onto the Districts Explorer section.
Today, it is a thriving Group with around 80 members. With the help of the many Leaders and parent volunteers we are fortunate to have, we are able to organise a range of fun activities and events for the young ones.