The Scouts Association takes your privacy seriously. This privacy notice tells you what to expect when we collect personal information.
Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified, either in the course of application process or through conversations with us, or when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
We never buy or sell personal data, or pass data into onto third parties. You have various data protection rights – please see the section entitled Your Rights.
1. Members, Contacts and Service Providers
We control and process personal information submitted initially under our Membership application policy. This consists of personal and/or work contact details for each member and other related information required for Scouting purposes.
1.1 Why We collect personal information
We only use your personal information for fulfilling a Scouting contract with you in the following cases:
- in promoting relevant Scouting activities and events to you and your child,
- in the maintenance of badge records to assist in the management of scouting awards.
- to cover our duty of care and safety when we are legally required to do so, such as needing emergency contacts and medical/dietary needs etc.
The information will be held only for as long as reasonably necessary for us to effectively provide those scouting services or as may be necessary for the collection of payments, and you are able to inspect these records via OSM member access.
1.2 Third party service providers
We use third party provider Online Youth Manager Ltd (owner of OSM) to manage and maintain membership data, badge records, event management and to deliver email communications to our membership. We have contracts in place with Online Youth Manager Ltd which provide that they will not do anything with your personal information unless we have instructed them to do so, and that they will not share your personal information with any organisation apart from us and that they will hold all personal data securely and retain it for as long as we ask them to. Link to OSM security Statement.
We never send junk mail.
We do from time to time use email to inform Members/Guardians of members about up and coming events relevant to the member via their nominated email address(s).
2. Visitors to our website
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer by websites that you visit. They are widely used in order to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide information to the owners of the site.
- to allow certain interactive functions to operate (including logging in and submitting forms);
- to ensure that your session is secure when you are logged in;
We do not believe that cookies pose a threat to your personal privacy or online security and we recommend that you set your browser to “allow” cookies. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies. However, some of the cookies we use are essential for the site to work and disabling them may result in preventing some of the site’s functionality to work.
2.2 Links to other websites
This privacy notice does not cover the links within this site linking to other websites. We encourage you to read the privacy statements on the other websites you visit.
3. Your rights
You have the following rights:
- The right to be informed about the collection and use of your personal data
- The right to access your personal data
- The right to rectify inaccurate or incomplete personal data
- The right to erase personal data when it is not required
- The right to restrict processing of personal data
- The right to object to the processing of your personal data and to object to direct marketing
You can read more about these rights on the ICO website.
4. How to contact us